Friday, March 6, 2009

"The Sun and the Snow"








I would like to use this forum as another opportunity to document another moment in time that I would like to be able to look back on and relive time and time again..As I mentioned in an earlier post, it is my belief that we rarely slow down long enough to appreciate the moments of life as they come our way..mostly because we are so busy doing much of nothing but in our minds there is no time to sit and think and write about what most would consider trivial..I have a made a commitment to myself to slow my life down enough to try and capture those moments that are short, sweet but extremely meaningful in the grand scheme of life..I know that writing them down allows me an opportunity to revisit them often and remember the times of our life that if we did not write them down, would be gone forever from our memory bank..lost in the thicket of stuff that takes up space in our mind..

So as you all know we just received a pretty good snow for this area and I was glad to see it come and equally glad to see it go...which leads me to this message..I was driving the girls to school this morning and as I looked around at God's creation..something dawned on me that I felt I could use to help explain to my girls about how God is..I would love to say that I never miss an opportunity to try and use the world around me to help create mental pictures and teaching moments for my girls, but sadly all to often I miss those chances, caught up in my own little world..but it is a desire of my heart to do better at this and God has been working on me in this area and peeling back the blindness to allow me to help my girls understand just who God is and how He relates to our life..

As we were driving I noticed that most of the snow has melted away but there are places where some snow exists and even fewer places where there are still lots of snow still in view..So I turned the radio down and tried to use this image to explain to CJ and Jaydin an example of how God is..See the SUN, which in this example is likened to Christ, and the snow, which is likened to SIN was the image I was trying to create( I know snow all white and pure is not a great sin example but stay with me).. The Sun has washed away and melted most of the snow...just like Christ in his Glory can wash away Sin...I exclaimed..but notice there is still some snow (sin) still existing even though the Sun is out and bright and in full effect..This snow (sin) is hidden away in darker places, where the Sun is not allowed to be..and even some that has piled up so high that even in direct sunlight is still there..and that is how we are with some of our sin..We hide it away and tuck it away, trying to keep it from Christ and not allowing Him to wash it clean from us...We hide it in the dark places of our mind and soul...or even worse we let it just pile up until it is so much that we lose Hope or we feel unworthy of God's Love...and that Sin that we don't allow the light to shine on, remains there and blocks the flow of grace from Christ and severely inhibits our relationship with Him..See when the Sun cant shine on the snow, it cant melt it away like it can the parts that are exposed directly to the Sun....In the Bible is says 2 Corinthians 4:6 For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness," has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.


Christ is the light of the world and He has come to shine His light on the darkness, to give light of the knowledge of the Glory of God...but if you do not let that light shine on you and expose the sin in your life thru knowledge, then you are essentially rejecting Christ.. You can take this example one step further and say..we as Christians are all lights of the world..Didn't God call us to be Light and Salt of this earth..What does light and Salt do to Snow (sin)..It melts it..It exposes it.. So if you think about us riding around in our cars on the roads(shining our light)...where is the first place snow melts? Not a trick question..Yes the roads and that is because we took our light and shined it in essence on the snow and caused it to melt.. If we will take God's command and share this Good News to all those who are lost, we can be like the Sun melting away Snow..or like Christ in helping people become saved and have their sin remembered no more...but as long as we sit on the sidelines in a blind self righteousness, the sin will remain, even in the midst of our Sun shining bright..but make no mistake, even the largest piles of sin (snow) can be washed away by the Sun (Christ) if exposed to it long enough or properly..


One last point, which by the way, assured me that my teaching moment was sinking in to my girls...because in the middle of this explanation..Jaydin says " Daddy, Daddy" from the back seat..That is like the "Itsy Bitsy Spider" song...and at that moment..I realized she GOT IT.. The song " Up come the Sun and dried up all the rain"....Jaydin was connecting the dots in the way that she knew how and for her to draw on another parallel example was a clue for me that she had at least vaguely understood the point that I was trying so hard to deliver...I am not sure how much of the discussion we had this morning made it thru to their understanding...but one thing is for sure...even if this event will never be remembered by them..I know at least for a few seconds, they were able to get a glimpse of the Glorious God we serve..even if it was for a brief moment in time..


Praise God for the Light thru His Son Jesus Christ He has shined on my life and for the sin that He exposed and exposes every day and Thank God that for those who Trust in Him as Lord and Savior, that He forgives that Sin that you lay at His feet and removes it as far as the East is from the West....

EB Print this post

0 comments:

Post a Comment